Bank accounts

If you claim any benefits you'll need to update HMRC with your bank account details, or you risk having your Tax Credits, Child Benefit or Guardian’s Allowance payments suspended.

Instead of using the Post Office, you can have your benefits and credits paid into a bank, building society or credit union account. If you already have an account, you can contact HMRC to update your details. 

If you get Child Benefit and/or Guardian’s Allowance customers, you can change your bank account details via GOV.UK or by contacting the Child Benefit helpline on 0300 200 3100.

If you get tax credits you can change your bank account details by contacting the tax credits helpline on 0345 300 3900.

If you don't have a bank account

Here's how to open a basic bank account.

If you can't open a bank account, please contact HMRC.